Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|12-year-old student behind spate of fake school bomb threats in Maryland, police say -Capitatum
Robert Brown|12-year-old student behind spate of fake school bomb threats in Maryland, police say
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 02:16:05
Police in Maryland have Robert Brownidentified a 12-year-old student who they say was behind seven unfounded bomb threat reports earlier this month that prompted evacuations at the three targeted schools each time.
The anonymous threats were made against Montgomery County Public Schools, a district located about 30 miles southwest of Baltimore on the border with Washington, D.C. Between Oct. 13 and 24, the district received five emailed threats to the Montgomery Blair High School, as well as one each to Oak View Elementary School and Silver Spring International School, according to the Montgomery County police.
Montgomery police detectives worked with the school district's IT staff to identify a 12-year-old student as the suspected culprit behind the hoaxes. While detectives said the juvenile admitted responsibility, children under the age of 13 can only be charged with offenses that constitute a "crime of violence" in Maryland, police said.
"It is disheartening to accept that the individual responsible for disrupting the educational process and instilling fear in our community was well aware of the legal limitations surrounding their age," police said in a statement. "They understood that they could not be charged under current Maryland statutes."
Fatal California crash:Driver in Malibu crash that killed 4 Pepperdine students arrested on murder charges
Another bomb threat reported Wednesday at separate high school in district
Shortly after police announced in a press release that detectives had identified the suspect, the department said on X that another bomb threat was reported at Springbrook High School, which is part of the same school district.
It was the second bomb threat reported at the school on Wednesday, Christopher Cramm, a spokesman for the district, said in an email to USA TODAY.
An earlier bomb threat reported at Albert Einstein High School had already proven to be unfounded, Cramm said. He added that police were in the midst of sweeping through Springbrook Wednesday afternoon and had not yet determined the threat to be a hoax.
No other information was immediately available.
'It jeopardizes the safety of our community'
In the case of the previous incidents, police were forced to respond to the targeted school's campus each time to sweep the area and determine that no danger existed before students and staff were allowed back inside.
"In addition to the fear and chaos these threats caused, it is important to acknowledge the significant financial and operational burden each incident placed on our department," police said Wednesday in a statement. "This diversion of resources is unacceptable, and it jeopardizes the safety of our community."
'A tragic end:'Nashville police chief's son wanted in police officers shooting found dead
School district sends letter to families
Montgomery Blair High School Principal Renay Johnson informed the school community in a Wednesday letter that the individual behind the hoaxes had been identified. Johnson also said a safety meeting for the school's students, staff and family was scheduled for Monday evening.
"We can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that our campus will be free from these harmful and invalid threats from this individual," Johnson said in the letter, which was provided to USA TODAY. "As we move forward, I encourage you to continue being vigilant and proactive in maintaining a safe and secure environment. If you see something, say something."
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Buccaneers make Antoine Winfield highest-paid DB in NFL with new contract
- No criminal charges in rare liquor probe at Oregon alcohol agency, state report says
- Michael Cohen to face bruising cross-examination by Trump’s lawyers
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Body of New Mexico man recovered from Colorado River in Grand Canyon National Park
- Caitlin Clark back in action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Connecticut Sun Tuesday
- USC, UConn women's basketball announce must-see December series
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Buccaneers make Antoine Winfield highest-paid DB in NFL with new contract
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk's Daughter Lea Makes Special Red Carpet Appearance
- Feds accuse Rhode Island of warehousing kids with mental health, developmental disabilities
- Questions and grief linger at the apartment door where a deputy killed a US airman
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Taylor Swift will be featured on Eras Tour opener Gracie Abrams' new album, 'The Secret of Us'
- University of North Carolina to dump 'divisive' DEI, spend funds on public safety
- Uber driver accused of breaking into passenger's home, raping her, after dropping her off
Recommendation
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Mississippi governor signs law restricting transgender people’s use of bathrooms and locker rooms
Van driver dies in rear-end crash with bus on I-74, several others are lightly injured
Melinda French Gates says she's resigning from the Gates Foundation. Here's what she'll do next.
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Avalanche lose key playoff piece as Valeri Nichushkin suspended for at least six months
Cannes set to unfurl against backdrop of war, protests and films
Ohio adult-use marijuana sales approved as part of 2023 ballot measure could begin by mid-June